Sunday, February 8, 2009

We're Having a Heat Wave ....


Well, not exactly, but it’s all relative. At 36° the air feels balmy and the snow is softening enough to make snow sculptures. The skiers and snowboarders want the light, fluffy stuff, but we snow sculptors prefer the wet, sticky variety. It hasn’t been a good year for sculpture snow. But today with this relative heat wave, my daughters and I got to it.

I have to say, while making this sculpture I had one of those parenting moments where I stood back and wondered at my creations. As I built an enormous, naked woman, neither of my daughters batted an eyelash. I suppose they think that all mothers make naked, female snow sculptures. The only question I got was, “why do people call them snowmen?” After a lengthy discussion on the deconstruction of ice related patriarchial language, we headed inside for hot cocoa, popcorn, and a kitchen dance party to Putumayo’s Reggae Playground.


For size reference, I talked my five year old through taking this photo.

And the beautiful sky...

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

She's an ancient fertility goddess blessing your land and family! Very cool. Ginormous as well! Your girls are so lucky to have you as their mama Julie. They are going to think differently and for themselves right out of the gate! Looks like a lovely day! Nice to see you in a pic!

suna said...

what do you mean, other mothers don't build naked snow-women..........check out mine under the snow sculpture catestgory.