Thursday, September 11, 2008

Parnassia



I made a new friend this week. Her name is Parnassia (or Grass of Parnassus). I'd never met her before and when I saw her I had that where have you been all my life? kind of feeling. And while I can't say exactly why, something about her feels of Nana.

Parnassus is a mountain in Greece said to be home of the muses and referred to as the home of poetry, literature, and learning. (Thank you, wikipedia) Nana was definitely a life-long learner and avid reader. She read Ekhart Tolle's A New Earth twice! in her last months of life. She played daily sudoku and cross-word puzzles up until a few months before her death (until she was 93 and 3/4 years old). Nana subcribed to the "use it or lose it" view on aging.


But there is something more going on here. When I walked past Parnassia, it was as if she called out to me. She caught my eye and she beamed. As I have mentioned, I'm not naturally visually observant, so my wildflower field guide becomes a learning tool in observation. If I want to learn a plant's name, I must look carefully at the details of its flower, leaves, stem, and environment. The name then helps connect me to the observational details and anchors me to the plant's spirit. And sometimes, as in this case, the name gives me a peak into others' relationships with the particular plant.

Having an animistic world view, I wonder if this pant called to me to encourage me to keep writing ... to stay connected to the home of the muses. And I wonder, with the feeling I had of Nana connected to this plant, if perhaps Nana helped guide my footsteps to the muses doorstep. Or pehaps it's just a big otherworldly conspiracy ... Nana, Parnassia, all of my spirit helpers, the universe, God at large ...working together to keep my inspiration sparked. Am I egotistical to think that the whole universe is working to keep me in check? Am I just plain nuts? Perhaps ... but I wouldn't want to live any other way.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I think there is enough of God and love in the Universe to keep us all in check when we most need it. So I don't think you are egotistical or nuts - I think you are right. But you know that. Beautiful post.